Dog Bite Attorney in Philadelphia
Need Help Filing A Dog Bite Lawsuit?
If you or a loved one has been hurt by an unrestrained, dangerous dog or other domestic pet, you may have grounds for a personal injury claim. As the leading catastrophic injury lawyers in Philadelphia, PA, Silver & Silver is also ready to serve as dog bite attorneys to help you gain justice for the vicious attack and trauma imposed on you.
Approximately 4.5 million estimated dog attacks occur each year. Fortunately, only about 800,000 of those individuals will seek medical attention for their injuries, with roughly half of them being children.
In most states, dog owners are held liable when a person is bitten. Pennsylvania is one such state and imposes “strict liability” on owners for payment of medical bills, regardless of whether the owner was negligent or violated animal control laws. While the state imposes strict liability on dog owners, PA law nevertheless draws a distinction between dogs that have previously bitten and those that have not, which is why it’s important to hire a dog bite attorney to help you make your claim.
Even if a dog has never bitten before, an injured individual’s dog bite attorney can make claims for medical expenses and legal damages, depending on the severity of the injury.
If a dog has bitten before, under the “first bite” rule, a possessor of a domestic animal, who has reason to know its dangerous propensities, is subject to liability for harm caused to others even if the owner has acted with the utmost care. In simpler terms, if a dog has already bitten or harmed one or more people in the past, the owner has been effectively put on notice that the dog is dangerous and will be considered liable for further injuries caused in most circumstances.
If you or a loved one has been injured by a vicious animal, we recommend that you take the following steps so your dog bite attorney can preserve a potential legal claim.
- Find a safe place away from the dangerous dog.
- Identify the dog owner.
- If you do not know the name of the owner, identify their address or a description of the location.
- Call the police immediately, as it is important for the police to get involved before someone else gets hurt.
- Go to an emergency room as soon as possible. Even if the bite does not look very serious, there is a danger of infection or scarring, and prompt treatment may help.
- In addition to injury from the bite itself, people are often injured trying to get away from a dangerous dog, e.g., falling. Even if the dog did not bite, you might be entitled to compensation if you were injured under similar circumstances.
- If there are any witnesses, obtain their names and phone numbers.
- Take photographs of the injuries caused by the dog bite.
- If it is safe to do so, photograph the dog as well.
A Dog Bite Attorney Can Assist You with Your Claim
We are the trusted dog bite, personal injury, and slip and fall lawyers serving Montgomery County and Delaware County, PA. If you were harmed by a dog or another vicious domestic animal and reside in the Greater Philadelphia, PA area, we can help. Call the experienced dog bite attorneys at Silver & Silver today for a free consultation. Your health and safety are our top priorities, which is why we’re dedicated to getting you the justice you deserve. Whether you’re looking for justice from catastrophic injuries or medical malpractice, our lawyers in Delaware County, Montgomery County, and Philadelphia, PA, will fight to get you the settlement you deserve.