With the latest resurgence in the popularity of cycling, the number of bicycle accidents has trended upward nationally in the past several years. The same holds true in Pennsylvania. PennDOT’s latest figures report that 810 bicycle crashes resulted in 15 heartbreaking fatalities in 2022 alone.
Have you been injured in a bicycle accident in Bensalem? Let the experienced Bensalem bicycle accident lawyers at Silver & Silver help hold the at-fault party accountable so you can heal and move on with your life.
Why are Cycling Accidents on the Increase?
Bicycle accidents declined throughout most of the 1990s and early 2000s but have been increasing since 2010. They are now at 30-year highs.
While more cyclists are on the roads now, that isn’t the only reason for the increase in bicycle accidents in recent years. Researchers cite:
- Faster and more car-centric roadways
- Population increases, and more drivers on the roads
- More driver distractions
- Consumers shifted toward larger vehicles like SUVs and trucks
Unfortunately, when a car meets a bicycle, the bicycle (and its rider) loses.
What are the Most Common Causes of Bike Crashes in Bensalem?
The most common causes of bicycle crashes in Pennsylvania typically involve a motor vehicle. These include:
- Distracted driving – Driver distraction is now the leading cause of accidents on the road today.
- Running traffic lights and stop signs
- A driver’s failure to yield the right of way to a cyclist
- A driver’s failure to allow sufficient space between their vehicle and the cyclist
- Aggressive driving
- Impaired driving
- A driver’s failure to signal
- A driver’s failure to watch for a cyclist when backing up or exiting parking lots or driveways
- Dooring or opening a car door when there is a cyclist in the direct vicinity
But, not all accidents are caused by the driver of the motor vehicle. Cyclists must abide by traffic rules and their own bicycle rules of the road.
The Disadvantage of a Cyclist in an Accident
A cyclist is at an obvious disadvantage whenever cars and bicycles share the road. Bicycles are smaller and less visible and must maintain their balance and forward momentum at all times. Couple this with the lack of protection from a metal body, seat belts, and airbags, and even the most minor bicycle accident can result in serious injuries to a cyclist.
These can include:
- Head and traumatic brain injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Cuts, abrasions, and road rash
- Broken bones and serious fractures
- Crush injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Soft tissue damage
- Emotional trauma and PTSD
- Wrongful death
If you have been injured in a Bensalem bicycle accident, getting the assistance of an experienced Bensalem bicycle accident lawyer can help protect your legal rights and your right to pursue compensation for your injuries. At Silver & Silver, we have dedicated ourselves to victims’ rights for over 40 years. Let us protect yours.
How Does Pennsylvania Accident Insurance Protect a Bicyclist After an Accident?
As a modified no-fault insurance state, Pennsylvania requires you to first file a claim with your own insurance policy after a bike crash.
But unlike a car accident, bicycle accident law affords you full tort coverage if you’ve been injured by a motor vehicle as a cyclist, regardless of what type of insurance you have. If your accident was caused by a driver’s negligence, you can hold that driver liable through an insurance claim or bicycle accident lawsuit and collect compensation for your damages, including noneconomic damages like pain and suffering.
You may be entitled to compensation for:
- Emergency services and emergency room costs
- Hospital and medical treatment expenses
- Doctor and other healthcare provider costs
- Personal property damage
- The cost of medically necessary equipment
- Physical therapy and rehabilitative costs
- Lost wages when you can’t work
- Pain and suffering and emotional anguish
- Potential future medical costs
- Compensation for permanent disability or disfigurement
How is Liability Determined in a Bensalem Bicycle Accident?
Both drivers and cyclists must abide by the rules of the road in Pennsylvania, and both have a duty of care toward the other. If either doesn’t proceed lawfully and with caution, it can be regarded as a breach of that duty and considered negligence if it results in an accident.
However, Pennsylvania has modified comparative negligence laws that can limit an accident victim’s ability to collect compensation. If you were found over 50 percent at fault for the accident as a cyclist, you may be unable to collect compensation for your injuries and damages. What happens if the insurance company claims you were over 50 percent at fault for the accident?
How Can You Trust if an Insurance Settlement is a Fair One?
As for-profit businesses, insurance companies are financially motivated to reduce their financial exposure in an accident claim. They can do this in many ways, including how they assign responsibility in an accident. They can also make other claims about the accident and your injuries that allow them to avoid responsibility.
Even if you are offered a settlement, how do you know if it is fair? You probably won’t unless you’re well-versed in bicycle accident law and insurance matters. This is when having a knowledgeable legal advocate can be critical.
Should You Hire an Experienced Bensalem Bicycle Accident Lawyer?
An important first step after a bike crash involving a car is to understand your legal rights. Filing and pursuing an accident claim can be complicated. Having the assistance and advice of a skilled bicycle accident attorney ensures that you pursue every possible source of compensation for your injuries and other damages.
At Silver & Silver, we fully understand the law and are experienced with insurance company tactics to avoid paying valid claims. While you heal, we will fight for your rights to fair and adequate compensation.
- We will conduct a full investigation to fairly establish fault and negligence.
- We will act on your behalf to negotiate an insurance settlement that considers everything you are entitled to.
- If a fair settlement isn’t possible through negotiation, we will pursue legal action.
Let our Bensalem, PA, bicycle accident lawyers help you get the compensation you deserve. Schedule a free consultation at (610) 658-1900 or through our online contact form. You never pay legal fees unless we secure compensation on your behalf.
This website is designed to provide only general information. The information presented on this website is not formal legal advice. You should not rely on any general information from any source for making legal decisions. Each legal matter is unique and requires specific attention from a qualified and experienced attorney. Unless a representation agreement has been signed with the Law Offices of Silver and Silver, we are not your legal representatives.